How often should you eat fermented foods? The short answer is as much as you can. Eating fermented foods daily will strengthen your immune system, reduce bloating, control weight, and will help many digestive issues.
If you are new to eating fermented foods start with 1 tablespoon of sauerkraut or 1 pickle a day. Work your way up to eating them daily with every meal.
For fermented drinks such as water kefir, milk kefir, and kombucha start with a 1/4 cup to drink.
See how you feel and if you don’t have tummy trouble, or any bad reactions, increase your serving each day. Continue this until you can eat or drink fermented foods with each meal.
Once your body is used to fermented foods I highly recommend incorporating them into each meal. This will help you digest your food and absorb more minerals and vitamins. You’ll get the most health benefits this way.
Ways to eat more fermented foods
- Eat 1-2 forkfuls of sauerkraut first thing in the morning.
- Have a few fermented carrot sticks or pickles as a snack.
- Drink probiotic rich water kefir or kombucha for a mid-day pick-me-up.
- Add milk kefir to a morning smoothie for a probiotic boost.
- Top your eggs, salads, sandwiches, with sauerkraut.
- Serve sauerkraut and pickles as a side to each meal.
- Dollop probiotic raspberries or apple butter on cottage cheese or yogurt.
- You can even add 1-2 tablespoons of sauerkraut to your morning smoothie. Trust me, you won’t taste it.
There are many different types of fermented foods and many different ways to eat them. Experiment on your own to find what you like best.
Learn how to make easy and delicious fermented foods using my simple methods. Give it a try with my new ebook, Fermenting Veggies, A Step-by-Step Guide To Making Nutrient Dense Fermented Foods. Get your copy here.