Hello fellow fermenters, experimenters and lovers of probiotic foods. I am super excited to share my first recipe with you today. It’s a good one too! I just had a taste and it’s amazing. It has all the flavors and textures that make kraut so darn delicious. It’s crunchy, crisp and sour with a hint of ginger and oranges. Not only the flavor, but the color is out of this world. How often do you get to eat fuchsia colored food? Seriously, it looks like candy.
- Purple cabbage and oranges are both packed with Vitamin C which is good for your skin and strengthens the immune system.
- The lacto-fermentation method used here creates a kraut that is packed with probiotics (friendly bacteria that live in your intestines). Probiotics clean out the bad bacteria, toxins and sludge that inhabit the gut.
- Eating sauerkraut daily will strengthen the immune system, reduce bloating and control weight. Along with a million other health benefits.
- 1 head of purple cabbage shredded
- 2 green apples chopped into thin slices
- 1 orange sliced into rounds
- 2 inches of ginger grated or ¼ cup of ginger juice.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- pure water
- Peel off two outside leaves of the cabbage and set aside. Add the remaining cabbage, apples, ginger and sea salt into a big bowl. I used a big stock pot, because that was the biggest bowl I had.
- Use your hands to mix and massage the cabbage mixture for about 5 min. The cabbage will start to breakdown and become wet. This is the brine. Pack the cabbage mixture into a large glass container or mason jar and place the orange slices around the sides of the jar for a decorative look (optional).
- Continue to add the cabbage mixture and oranges until there is about 2-3 inches of space from the top and then fill the jar with purified water until it just covers the cabbage.
- Roll the cabbage leaves up and place them on top of the mixture. These are used to hold the sauerkraut below the water line. Close the lid and set in a cool, dry place for 5-7 days.
- Open the lid every 1-2 days to let out the gas caused by the fermentation.
- Put in the fridge after 5-7 days and eat as a side with your meals.