Good evening, morning or afternoon! It’s evening time for me in San Diego and I just got off work about an hour ago and now I am banging away again at the keyboard to bring you this ultra-rich, creamy and delicious Post Workout Chocolate Coconut Kefir Smoothie that I can’t get enough of.
This recipe reminds me of the chocolate banana ice cream I make in the summer with frozen bananas, raw cacao and cacao nibs, except it is jam packed with magnesium, potassium, probiotics and other minerals and vitamins the body needs after a workout. This smoothie will not only help you recover quickly, it is very satisfying. The creamy texture and richness of the chocolate make it taste like a dessert.
Smoothies are one of my strengths and I’ve been making them for years now. They are an easy way to get a large amount of superfoods into your body quick and easy. I mostly make green smoothies, like this probiotic green smoothie, but I like to mix it up once in awhile to feed my body a variety of vitamins and minerals.
I workout in the evening after work at Fit Body Bootcamp in San Diego and it’s tough. I have never left class without my clothes dripping wet with sweat and my muscles feeling like limp noodles. They get so fatigued. It’s the best! I love workout soreness and pain. I am a little weird like that.
Seriously, after a workout I feel the stress lift away and peace and calm descend on my body. It always puts me in a good mood too. But what puts me in an even better mood is coming home and making my Post Workout Chocolate Coconut Kefir Smoothie. It’s the immediate reward after the sweat and tears from the workout.
This smoothie tastes like a dessert more than your typical smoothie and it will fill your body with minerals, electrolytes and protein to help you recover. It will also banish your hunger immediately.
- Coconut water kefir is a suped-up version of coconut water. It is fermented using water kefir grains or a kefir starter. Coconut water is very hydrating and packed with electrolytes and minerals. When you ferment it using kefir grains or a culture starter it has the added effect of helping your body absorb the minerals and vitamins more efficiently. You can learn more about coconut water kefir in my post, “How To Make Coconut Water Kefir And Get Clearer Skin” or the article by Donna Gates, “Young Green Coconuts”.
- Banana’s as you probably already know are full of potassium and help protect against muscle cramps. They are also used to sweeten this smoothie.
- Avocados also contain potassium along with B vitamins, offer a healthy fat and make this smoothie rich and creamy.
- Raw Cacao is a superfood that contains antioxidants, magnesium, iron and fiber. It’s the raw, unprocessed form of chocolate and has none of the bad additives that most chocolate powder contains.
- Collagen hydrolysate is 90% protein and is great for joints, hair, nails, skin and helps regulate metabolism. It has 11 grams of protein in each serving. I add it to my smoothies and even my coffee every morning. This stuff is fantastic!
This ultra-rich and creamy Post Workout Chocolate Coconut Kefir Smoothie is packed with the nutrients you need to recover quickly from your workout. The ingredients that make this smoothie a powerhouse are the coconut water kefir, raw cacao and collagen hydrolysate. I keep these well stocked in my pantry at all times and use them in other recipes too. They are a must for maintaining a healthy body and mind.
Try making this smoothie after a tough workout and you will instantly feel satisfied and content. Your body will thank you.
- Put all ingredients into a high speed blender or vitamix.
- Pour into your favorite glass
- Top with raw cacao nibs (optional)
Things You May Need
- Water Kefir Grains or Body Ecology Kefir Starter
- Raw Cacao (this is the one I use)
- Collagen hydrolysate (I trust and use this brand)
- High Speed Blender such as a Vitamix or a NutriBullet. (I have used both of these and love them)
- How To Make Coconut Water Kefir And Get Clearer Skin
- “Young Green Coconuts”
- Making Young Coconut Kefir
- “71% of Those Who Drank Coconut Water Lowered Their Blood Pressure”, by Dr. Mercola
- 25 Powerful Reasons to Eat Bananas